Hello wedding day!
Bridal beauty planning - day before the wedding
You will need to prep your hair for wedding day hairstyling, at the most, the day before the wedding. The reason for this is that we need to have very clean, very dry hair to style with. We are aiming for light, airy hair. If you can dry it with a blow dryer even better!
How to cleanse + dry your hair the day before wedding day
- Soak your hair all the way through. Double cleanse! Shampoo your hair and rinse. Then repeat! This time focus on all the edges of your hairline and the crown (back top section) of the head. Rinse well.
- Nourish. Use conditioner to nourish the mid-lengths and ends. Don't be tempted to apply directly to the root area. Leave for a few mins and rinse well.
- Towel-dry and comb out then preferably using a hairdryer and smoothing brush, blow dry your hair with the dryer nozzle angled down. If your hair is fine or lacks volume then you may blow dry a little amount of mousse or voluminous product into the root area or I can do this for you on the day. Alternatively, air-dry and once completely dry use straightening irons to smooth the cuticle.
- If you wish to exercise the morning of the wedding day or those that have very fine hair or those that get oily roots/dry ends etc. You may double cleanse and dry the morning of but you will need to ensure your hair is very clean and very dry please.
- Bridal party - Please think ahead of time about where you like to wear your parting i.e. centred, left or right and if you'd like pieces out to frame your face or if you'd like it behind the ears. Please consider this when having a trim, cut or colour/highlights before the wedding day. For you the Bride we would have had a hands-on consultation already.
- Please consider this when having a trim, cut or colour/highlights before the wedding day.
- If someone in your bridal party or hairstyling line up has extra frizzy, extra long or extra thick hair, please ask them to smooth their hair when drying it with either a brush and blow dryer or with straightening irons the day before, or if very frizzy book in a blow out.
Remind your bridesmaids to bring their own skincare, toothbrush, deodorant, perfume, medication, contact lenses if needed, sunscreen for the body and/or the face and any other items personal to them on the morning of the wedding.
They must also have their inspiration photo handy please and this to be sent to the hairstylist prior to the wedding day to ensure we have the correct equipment.
Accessories - Remember to bring your veil, hair accessories for you and bridal party, earrings, rings, necklace, perfume and bridal shoes!
SET THE TONE
Music plays an important part on your wedding day and it starts in the morning! Make yourself a wedding morning playlist. You might want something mellow and relaxing or you might want to throw in a few hype songs! Regardless of your desired vibe, having some background music really sets the tone.
SO much fun.....SO little time....
The most surprising thing about the wedding morning is how fast time flys! There's so much we want to experience on our wedding day and so this means usually an early start and a late night. So, with that in mind be sure to get enough sleep the night before, eat well and often during the morning and be well organised with all your items.
Appoint one of your bridal team to take charge of other matters of the morning including food, drinks and ensuring that everyone is where they are meant to be at any given time so that you can relax and enjoy the experience.
**There are a few requirements for setting up the hairstyling area for the morning, these are listed in the terms and conditions however the most important ones that relate to the set up are: a large table or bench with powerpoint near by, lots of lovely soft (not striking) natural light where possible and a dining chair or low chair with a low back please, and thank you in advance.
Your Run Sheet ...
The run sheet is subject to change. It is normal that some hair takes less or more time than planned so I average this out at approximately 45 mins per person. Usually your makeup and artist and I will just alternate people between us.
If anyone has any hair accessories, fascinator or hat please have these out and available. Same for any earrings - these can be put in straight after hairstyling. If you are having a veil please have this available too.
Please ensure everyone who is having hairstyling is wearing something that is loose and able to take over their head with ease - or wearing something that unbuttons etc.
Making sure that all wedding gowns and outfits are hanging up and out of the way (of food and drinks) have had their tags cut off (bring your own ✂️ ) and have been ironed or steamed the day before the wedding. Especially veils as some fabrics crease and its hard to get the crinkles out the morning of the wedding. I recommend getting into dress/outfit with plenty of time, instead of leaving it to the last minute as sometimes adjustments often need to be made.
Bonus Tip for your flowers - When these arrive, if fresh flowers and are going in water, ensure they come out of the water and dry the stems a good hour before you need them. you don't want drips on your dress!
My suggestion regards other treatments such as Spray Tans should be applied 1-2 days max before the wedding day. Same with nails, no painting on the day. Any eyebrow, eyelash treatments, skin treatments, hair cuts, colours, highlights, extensions at least a week before the wedding day.
The timeline is an estimate because everyones hair does not take as much time as another or make take more time so feel free to fill in the timeline if that helps you plan. Hairstyling averages 45mins.
Last valuable tip here!
Depending on the season, Auckland has several different levels of climate, all of them involve humidity!
Sometimes even just a few people in a room with beauty lights or a hairdryer or heated tongs can make the room extremely warm. Please think ahead for this and consider ventilation or air conditioning/cooling fans at your location. You will not regret it.
After reading this I hope to have answered some questions you may have had and also some of those you hadn't yet considered!
Now it's time to get excited!
"If you have any further questions regarding this document please just ask - I'm happy to answer them. I'm looking forward to enjoying this special time with you." - Amy